Sunday, September 8, 2013

Vienna!

Yesterday, very early in the morning, I went by train for the first time solo to meet up with three of my other exchange friends in Vienna. They all live near or in Vienna so it was the hardest for me to get there. It was honestly one of the best experiences I've had here so far!

We had quite a few things go wrong, but just being there with my friends made it bearable!
First three of us met up, while the other friend was still at home because he missed the train. So, the three of us that arrived on time all went shopping in the main shopping strip in Vienna. Man, we had a blast trying on clothes and taking silly pictures! But while we were in one of the stores trying on clothes, I accidentally left my denim shirt that I had just bought two days ago in one of the stalls. When we came back later to look for it, it wasn't where I knew I had lost it! As I was walking up to the front desk to ask if they had it there, I saw it neatly folded with a pricetag on it! They were trying to re-sell the shirt I had lost for 80 Euros!! I was not about to re-buy my shirt so I went up and explained to a very confused cashier, and I even showed her a picture of me wearing the shirt earlier that day. (To clear up and confusion I was wearing a shirt under it because it was a button-up). Finally I got it back after a lot of laughter and ridicule from my friends.

After the stores closed at six, we decided to go to the permanent fair that they have in Vienna. It was really expensive; 5 Euros  per ride on a roller coaster, but it was definitely worth it! Anyway, it was really fun and before we knew it it was 9:11 pm, and the last train going to Krems (where I was spending the night with my friend) left at 9:54 pm. We still had to go back to the train station I arrived at because I left my sleepover bag in a locker there for the day. This means that we had to take the U-Bahn (like a subway) four stops, then switch subways, then go three more stops to get to the original train station. Then, we ran into the train station whilst crossing the street very very hurriedly, couldn't figure out how to get out my sleepover backpack because it was all in German and none of us had ever used on before. Now it's about 9:40 pm.  We finally figured out how to get the backpack out after lots of frustrated screams and we booked it back to the U-Bahn where we had to take another 8 stops to get to the train station that had the train going to Krems. At three stops to go it was 9:54 pm and we were so defeated. All of us were dripping sweat because we had literally run as fast as we could to each stop. We ended up missing the train by two mintues.

We ended up being able to find a train that left at 10:40 pm at the first train station that would go to a nearby city (about 40 min away). We had to backtrack there and finally caught the train. We felt terrible though, because we had to call my friend's host mom to come pick us up at 11:40 pm and then drive 40 min to her house.  In the end, we ended up going to sleep at 4 am. A Perfect Day.

I ended up writing way more than I meant, but I thought it might be entertaining. Yesterday also marked my month being here in Austria! Wohoooo!

Here are some pictures from yesterday:



No comments:

Post a Comment